Demonstrate healthy behaviors and safety skills.
- managing personal health (e.g., setting short-, medium-, and long-term physical-fitness goals; eating non- or minimally-processed foods)
- following safety guidelines (e.g., adhering to Occupational Safety and Health Administration [OSHA] standards and instructor and manufacturer guidelines).
Related Standards of Learning
History and Social Science
The student will demonstrate knowledge of the role of government in the Virginia and United States economies by
- analyzing the impact of fiscal and monetary policies on the economy;
- describing the creation of government-provided goods and services that are not readily produced by the market;
- examining environmental issues, property rights, contracts, consumer rights, labor-management relations, and competition in the marketplace;
- understanding the types and purposes of taxation.
The student will demonstrate knowledge of personal character traits that facilitate thoughtful and effective participation in civic life by
- practicing trustworthiness and honesty;
- practicing courtesy and respect for the rights of others;
- practicing responsibility, accountability, and self-reliance;
- practicing respect for the law;
- practicing patriotism;
- practicing financial responsibility.
The student will demonstrate knowledge of economic, social, cultural, and political developments in recent decades and today by
- examining the role the United States Supreme Court has played in defining a constitutional right to privacy, affirming equal rights, and upholding the rule of law;
- analyzing the changing patterns of immigration, the reasons why new immigrants choose to come to this country, their contributions to contemporary America, and the debates over immigration policy;
- explaining the media influence on contemporary American culture and how scientific and technological advances affect the workplace, health care, and education;
- examining the impact of the “Reagan Revolution” on federalism, the role of government, and state and national elections since 1988;
- assessing the role of government actions that impact the economy;
- assessing the role of the United States in a world confronted by international terrorism.